- Before treatment, brush and floss your teeth.
- Put a small drop of whitening gel on the front of the tray.
- Put the tray in and push gently to remove air bubbles. Remove the excess.
- Wear the tray for at least 30 minutes. Do not drink, eat or smoke during treatment.
- When treatment is complete, gently remove the tray. Rinse and brush your teeth.
- Wash the tray with a toothbrush, dry it and store it in its case.
- On the days of treatment, avoid coffee, tea, soft drinks, red wine, tobacco and foods that can stain such as blueberries, beets, tomatoes, etc.
Temporary inconvenients that might occur and solutions
White and sensitive gums
(too much product in the tray and the excess wasn’t removed). Apply vitamin E on the affected area and wait for it to heal before proceeding.
(Too much product in the tray): Maintain a light, non-spicy diet for 24-48 hours.
Teeth sensitivity (cold, hot or to touch)
Use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth like Sensodyne or Colgate Pro-Relief. Avoid acidic foods.
Electric shock like feeling
In the absence of medical restraint, take ibuprofen (Motrin, advil) or acetaminophen (Tylenol).
In all cases, if symptoms are too bothersome, you can stop treatment for a day or two. If the symptoms are too disturbing, please contact us directly.
The whitening treatment takes between 15 and 21 days. Some patients may require a longer period of time to whiten their teeth (1 to 3 months). For more information, contact the dental office.
Remember: The whitening gel will not change the color of fillings, veneers or crowns (porcelain). Additional charges may apply if these fillings need to be replaced. A delay of one to two weeks is necessary between the treatment and the replacement of the fillings.